Happy New Year! (January Goals)
It’s that time of the month! Time for goal setting again.
First – a recap of my December goals.
- Finish the goddamn rain barrels. Seriously. They need to be done. Even if I have to pick up the power tools & do them myself. These are 95% done. We need to make a trip to the hardware store to get something to fix the downspout so that it will drain into the rain barrel. We have a trip planned this weekend.
- Get in 27 workouts (which means I can double-up if I miss a day due to illness or stress). I totally did this. I worked out a total of 27 days – and had a couple of days of doubling up workouts, so I definitely achieved my goal. Check it out!
- Make delicious, healthy, creative meals with my December grocery budget of $200. This went fairly well – more on this later.
- Learn to make something new that will reduce household costs One of the cats had a small…accident…on the carpet upstairs and we were out of resolve. So I made some stain remover. And internets? It worked AWESOMELY! It was non-toxic, made with simple household ingredients, and completely removed the cat vomit stains. I will never buy expensive stain removers AGAIN! (so easy – mix equal parts baking soda & salt, add several drops of white vinegar & enough water to make a paste. Apply paste to stain & let set. When dry, brush it away.)
- Read 5 new books. I did this – with a little help from all of you! I read:
- Garlic and Sapphires: The Secret Life of a Critic in Disguise by Ruth Reichl (recommended by Emily)
- My Life in France by Julia Child (recommended by Alisa)
- The Road by Cormac McCarthy
- The Salmon of Doubt: Hitchhiking the Galaxy One Last Time by Douglas Adams
- The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins
I thoroughly enjoyed all of the books, although The Road wasn’t the most cheery holiday book ever! On of my 2009 goals is to read 50 books that I haven’t read before (I read 42 new books this year.) I have 9 books on my bookshelf right now – so I’m ready for that challenge!
And now – on to my January 2009 goals! (Can you believe it’s 2009? CRAZY!)
- Go the whole month without using my ‘overdraft protection’ in my checking account. (Personal Finance)
- Use my Mondays in the manner for which they were made work-free (Writing)
- Run 50 miles (Fitness)
- Get a minimum of 3 servings of fruit/veggies each day (Food)
- De-clutter house – get a Goodwill box together (Household)
- I usually only do 5, but I’m adding an honorary sixth today – Don’t burn down the house & kill the pets (Also household & personal safety). So far, the house is still standing & no one is dead. Barely. (Had a bit of a kitchen problem this morning.)
I am hoping that the rain & wind will die down a little this afternoon for my run. I’m feeling a little woozy from this morning’s kitchen incident mixed with too much beer. 🙂
Happy New Year! I hope you all have a WONDERFUL 2009. I know that my 2008 would’ve have been as good without all the wonderful people I’ve connected with & met through this blog.Follow me on social!