Gotta Have Goals (October 2017)
At the beginning of September, I set 19 goals for myself, and I thought it’d do more towards accountability if I actually shared how that went. (Plus, then, NEW GOALS!)
- Pick my son up from his very last day of preschool ever. Take a picture. Don’t cry. (9/1) – SUCCESS! I didn’t even cry
- Finish all my last pre-editor edits on The Ruby Blade and get that sucker to my editor. (9/2) – SUCCESS! I totally cried here, though
- Drink champagne. (9/2) – SUCCESS! (No tears)
- Make an apple pie with the Bean, because he wants to make one for the beer guy’s parents who are visiting. (9/3) – SUCCESS! Kinda, we made a crisp instead
- Drop my boy off at his first day of Kindergarten. Take pictures. Don’t cry. (9/5) – SUCCESS! More or less. I maybe got some dust in my eyes. It was really smoky from the fires.
- Edit a book for a new client (early Sept) – SUCCESS! (And it is SO GOOD!)
- Get my skin checked to make sure there’s no suspicious activity (9/11) – SUCCESS! All is well with my
- Meet with new personal trainer and get new workout schedule set up (9/12) – half SUCCESS! I met with the trainer, but have not yet gotten the schedule set up.
- Write 45K words on Eleanor #4 (sekrit goal is 60K – which is 15K/week and my current average, but see all busy-ness) – big ol’ fail…I’m waaaay behind on my ambitious goal, not to mention the sekrit goal, but still on track to finish by 11/30.
- Write 2 chapters on my Raj novella – oops. Totally did not do this.
- Survive the beer guy’s 2.5 week trip to Belgium (I mean, obviously, I’ll survive, but, you know…) – SUCCESS! I ate and slept and only broke the house a tiny bit!
- Keep on top of my day job stuff – SUCCESS!
- Write outlines for the first three books in my new series coming out about this time next year and conspire with my cover artist – SUCCESS! I have a long synopsis for the first book and shorter ones for books 2 & 3, have started conspiring with my cover artist, and am working on a marketing plan.
- Turn around my article edits SUPAH FAST – SUCCESS!
- Write 4 chapters on SUPER SEKRIT PROJECT – oops. Totally forgot about this.
- Actually sleep? I guess? – SUCCESS! I averaged more than 6.5 hours/night in September.
- Start meditating in the mornings again, which means – oops. nope.
- Start getting up at 5:30 am again, which means – hahaha. nope. (I am getting up regularly at 6 now, though)
- In bed & asleep by 10:45 on school nights – SUCCESS!
- I really want a 20th goal, but couldn’t think of one…
Honestly not bad at all. So much successing. The places where I didn’t completely succeed, though, were all things for which I had not external motivator. Writing my own words with no editor deadline (see sekrit project, Eleanor #4, Raj’s chapters), meditation, getting up earlier, getting the workout schedule down with the new trainer (although, to be fair, I’m waiting for her to get back to me at this point).
I’m not going to set 20 goals in October, but I have five big ones. I’m not going to include things that I know I’ll get done, like finishing up the book I’m currently editing or “have a good time in Mexico.” Instead, these are actual things that I have to work at.
- I signed up for a thanksgiving 5K. My goal – to finish it without hating myself, whatever that means for me that day.
- I need to be mostly done with Eleanor book 4 by the end of the month.
- Stay on top of book marketing and don’t back out because of “hard” or “fear.”
- Find a way to forgive everyone who made me angry cry today due to the colossal fuck-up that happened with my Bean’s after-school care situation. Note: this might be the hardest. Note 2: I think everything’s figured out. It was only two hours of Wednesday panic on my part.
- Continue to eat 3x/day and get to bed by 11 on work nights. Work on popping out of bed a little faster in the morning. Meditate (with the bean). Moisturize. Self-care.
Follow me on social!