40 Before 40 – Final Progress Report
I will be forty in 23 days. TWENTY-THREE. DAYS.
There are days that I feel old, but most of the time I have trouble reconciling the number forty with how I feel.
The last thirteen months have been some of the hardest of my life. Between separation, divorce, job loss, and no job found…it’s been stressful to say the least.
I didn’t get through my list of 40. Some of that is due to financial constraints (I shot my wad on the big one – going to Iceland) and some is due to the inability to do things because of depression and anxiety.
You know what, though? I don’t care. There were some stretch goals on there. I’m not going to rehash everything I didn’t do, but I’m going to show you what I did do.
- Attend a live concert
- Climb a tree
- Go to the local nude beach
- Go to the opera
- Sing a new song at karaoke
- Take a barre class
- Take a cooking class
- Funky hair color
- Try hot yoga
- Do a fun thing with Bean every day of his summer vacation
- Rosé in the garden in July
- Make a cheese that needs to age 10 months and eat it on my 40th birthday
- Become passable in Swedish (I’m still doing lessons!)
- Develop a habit of meditation
- Get back into my DIY habits –bread, stock, cheese, jam, etc.
- Perfect the homemade pie crust.
- Take a good photo
- Try 12 new cheeses
- Drink a bottle of expensive champagne
- Get a stamp in my passport
- Meet three ‘in the computer friends’ in real life. (Still waiting on my PSM)
- Publish my first book – this should happen this month or very soon after depending on how long it takes me to format stuff. (If anyone is interested in an ARC, let me know!)
So – twenty-four of forty things. That’s not a great success rate, but I’m really happy about how much I managed to do even when I was so anxious I could barely leave the house. I don’t plan on hitting any of the missing 16 items in the next 23 days. My primary goals for February are to get my book out and find a goddamn job. Oh – and to turn 40. Of course.
Don’t worry – I have a whole list of things I’m planning on accomplishing in the next year (although maybe not 41 things…). Stay tuned for all the ways I’m going to be awesome next year.