The first couple months of my fortieth year have been a little on the rough side. I was sick in March, and then I herniated a disc earlier this month, which has really cut into the activities I was planning – the hot hatha, pole dancing, and barre classes.
Because life is constantly in flux, I may do some switching around. I’ve been cleared for pilates but not yoga; walking but not running; and swimming but not pole dancing. (To be fair, I didn’t ask about pole dancing. It just seems like maybe that’s not something this gazelle wants to try while rehabbing a back.)
So I’ll try a pilates class instead of the hot hatha class I was going to do. I’ll walk a 5K in May instead of run one. It’s all about compromise.
I’m sure by now you’re wondering if I got anything done in the last month.
I most certainly did!
I ate a cheese. That’s right – I go for the hard stuff. (heh.)
I’m 2/2 in cheeses/month!
I also finished my first award winning book (and then reviewed it!): Evernight.
I’m very nearly finished with my second, so I should be back on track with that by the end of the week.
One of the more exciting things I got to check off the list in April was meeting friend in the computer Elizabeth Hunter. You may remember Elizabeth from my frequent reviews of her books. We got to meet and hang out a lot while we were both in Vegas for the 2016 RT Booklovers convention. She is just as wonderful IRL as she is via the internets.
The next month will have more books and more cheese and more pie! I also need to make my hard cheese so it can sit in the cheese cave and age gracefully. I’m signed up for my Habitat for Humanity build, but am contemplating pushing that back (ha!) because of my disc problem. I’m going to get my hairs done all purty-like to check that off the list. And it’s possible that going to a concerty show thingie counts for an item on the lists since I almost never go to those types of things. Possibly.
How am I doing with my 2016 goals, you (almost certainly did not) ask:
Well, the big ones:
- More sleep – after the four days of no sleep at all in March (you guys! I started hallucinating!), things seem great in comparison. Still not as good as I’d like, but better than they have been.
- More writing – Yeah….I need to get my ass in gear here. I have things to do and people to impress.
- More movement – stupid sick and messed up back!
- More job satisfaction – no comment. 🙂
- More water – YES! I am a hydrated water monster! (Or something)
- More gin – I’ve been doing well here, too. I love the taste of success.
- More love – I think this is doing quite well.
- More laughter – There have been some decent laughs. I have the best friends, y’all!
- More time outdoors with the Bean – We’re two blocks from a park now! And we planted a garden! And my back yard is fenced in (although not kid proof – he loves to leave the back yard and come through the house to freak me out)
- More unicorns – I am wearing these RIGHT NOW!
- More letting shit go – Still a work in progress
- More reading – Not more, per se, but I still read a fair amount.
- More cheese – YES! my #40before40 is helping immensely with this
- More beer & cribbage nights – I need to work harder on this. I think there’s only been one cribbage night this year so far…slackers!