May 18 – May 24 Training Plan + 5/11-5/17 Recap

Last Week’s Plan

Monday: Easy recovery run: 2-3 miles, no time goals; push-ups – I ran 3 miles in 32 minutes; didn’t do the push-ups

Tuesday: Speed work; 4-5 Yasso 800s – I was still hurting, so skipped the speed work & instead did some nothing (REST!)

Wednesday: AM swim; PM bike – I made my swim 1,250 yds in 40 minutes; definitely need to get speedier. It was hailing when I got home, so I didn’t bike

Thursday: AM crazy weights; PM yoga – I skipped weights, did the yoga

Friday: noon trail run; pushups & abs – I did the trail run – 7.5 miles – and there’s a blog post about that coming up. No push-ups & abs because I am lazy & cannot take 15 minutes to do arms & abs. LAZY!

Saturday: 10 mile run – Saturday did not go well. I did not run. I did, however, get my 10 mile bike in as a make-up for Wednesday’s skipped bike.

Sunday: rest – I gardened for 3 hours, including weeding, digging up bamboo, digging holes in the ground & planting more stuff.

So – I ran only 1/3 of my planned miles for the week, and will not hit 100 in May, I don’t think (I’m only at 29 for the month so far!), but I think I’m okay with that. I’m going to ramp things up again in June, but since I’m starting my tri- training, I think I’m going to take it easy on the running until I get adjusted. I have been so hungry lately!

I really, really, really need to be lifting weights though. That is the only thing I feel really bad about skipping last week! However, it’s just not realistic for me to get to the gym by 6 more than once a week, so I’m working on a new plan. I’d actually really like to just get into a home routine, so that is my goal for this week.

This Week’s Plan

Monday: Easy 3 miles

Tuesday: 60 minute bike ride

Wednesday: AM swim; PM trail run

Thursday: yoga

Friday: Easy 5 miles; swim

Saturday: 60 minute bike ride

Sunday: 20K trail race (I will post later this week about my trail race goals).

Other – push-ups at least TWICE! Weights – TWICE! Abs – THREE TIMES!

My other basic plan is to just listen to my body & not get carried away. Last week I added in two new activities that I haven’t previously been doing (the swim & bike) and this week I’m doing each twice instead of the once of last week, I am just going to try really hard to be aware & not overdo it – which is what I did last week. Right now, mileage isn’t as important as it will be later, and I need to remember that! My next two races are 20 K & 1/2 marathon, so I know that I’m prepared for those distances – no need to get all crazy, right? RIGHT!

• cindy
    May 18, 2009 - 12:50 pm ·

hey! i saw on your sidebar that you’re doing the forest park run. that’s very cool! i did the 10k last year and had lots of fun. i got lost but still had a good time. the route is marked with little flags and i spaced out. anyway, cool run and lots of hard core trail runners out there to be inspired by! have fun!

May 20, 2009 - 2:21 pm ·

I hope I don’t get lost! I’m notorious for getting lost! (I will remember to pay extra-close attention to the flags!)

• Susan
    May 18, 2009 - 1:32 pm ·

I’m with you on the “other” category! I’m trying to incorporate weight and ab workouts into my training. Push ups too! I started today…we can do it!

• Wiggs (The Beholder)
    May 18, 2009 - 1:42 pm ·

I say this: The only thing you should push yourself to do is the weights. That’s a huge key to preventing injury (something I need to remind myself of a bit more often).

And, sure you haven’t done all of the miles you’ve been planning on, but doing doing 1/3 of 100 is still impressive as eff!

• Michael
    May 18, 2009 - 3:41 pm ·

Word on the street there may be a new (free) gym within walking distance. Perhaps that will make that commitment to lifting weights easier.

May 18, 2009 - 7:06 pm ·

You did a great job going with the flow and being flexible with the workouts. The great thing about a well-rounded tri training program is that there are SO many things to be doing, you can always fit something in. But it’s hard to do everything you’re supposed to, esp as writtien. Once you can get into a good routine, the variety is a joy. You’re doing great in the pool – nice yardage- and on the bike. Have a great week! Keep up the good work!!

May 18, 2009 - 7:40 pm ·

Your doing great girlie!

I have yet to do the Yasso 800’s. My half is coming up in 12 days. I can’t wait!!!

May 19, 2009 - 5:57 am ·

I’ve been doing a lot of nothing as well lately. not good. but that’s cool phrasing.

my strength training right now is all done with the iron gym, a swiss ball, and pushups. I’m still on the tri power program and it still rocks. throw in plenty of situps and planks and you should be ok.

• Calyx Meredith
    May 19, 2009 - 7:03 am ·

“success through type-written enthusiasm” – YES! 😀

And? I looooovvvvve my (lilac and gray) weight bench at home. (Reebok?) I know some might scoff and say disparaging things about “Barbie weights” but I love it. It cost me the equivalent of 3 months gym membership – and now I’ve had it for two years. (And I have spent about $20 adding a couple of heavier weights.) I love free weights and I can fit in strength training pretty much any time I want. (It is especially helpful when I’m writing and get stuck. I lift and let my brain unwind and then magically my writing is smoother.) I’m also very much of a cave dweller – so getting to stay home is a huge motivator for me. Good luck with your plan!

May 19, 2009 - 7:59 am ·

I need to do weights too. I’m decent at doing Shred a couple times a week but the machines or the weights classes are better.

Good job adding one more of each swim and bike to your schedule. I think that’s a good plan.

May 19, 2009 - 8:26 am ·

Those are exciting new changes in the routine. Adding swimming and biking definitley take some adjusting. Good work.

I am excited to hear about the 20k trail race. Those are tough!

This weeks workouts look solid. I too need to get some weights going on. I want to, but…

• P.O.M.
    May 19, 2009 - 9:57 am ·

No need to get all crazy yo!
    But in regards to weights – I am sooooooooo bad these days about that. I used to be weight lifting queen. There is just not enough time in the live-long day, I tell ya.

May 19, 2009 - 3:24 pm ·

I forgot to tell you I’m going to email that awesome granola bar recipie. Give me a couple days. I have three finals between Wed and Thrus and then I’ll do it.

May 19, 2009 - 6:13 pm ·

Honestly – big fan of this revision. Also honestly – if you said you wanted to quit running and just drink all day, I might be on board with that too!