Bringing Home the Bacon

Now that I am the sole breadwinner in my little family, does that mean I can expect the architect to meet me at the door with martinis every night?

What will this do to our carpooling arrangement?

Should I cancel my Netflix?

I love a pre-holiday lay-off!

• Claire
    November 19, 2008 - 7:14 pm ·

What?? I missed something. When did that happen? That’s terrible. There have been some lay offs at architecture/design firms around here too. BOO!

November 20, 2008 - 11:46 am ·

It’s crap right now. I don’t know what we’ll do in the short-term. No one, of course, is hiring – and if a job does appear, there are so many applicants. It is definitely ‘teh suck’.

I hope Obama builds some stuff. 🙂

November 20, 2008 - 11:47 am ·

This is not the first time for us (architecture is a volatile field), but the first time when another job wasn’t right around the corner.

I know we’ll make it through – but it is definitely stressful. At least I have my stress-release, right? Gotta love that running.

November 20, 2008 - 5:32 am ·

What? when did the architect get laid off? Speaking as a breadwinner, it’s not always fun. Just keep your nose to the grindstone and everything will work out in the long run. Usually for the better.

I’ll be thinking bout ya till he gets something else lined up.

November 20, 2008 - 11:48 am ·

He got laid off about 1 hour before I shared with the internet. I’m a giver like that.

It wouldn’t have been so bad if I had been the primary money-maker in our relationship. BOO!

• auntie
    November 20, 2008 - 5:54 am ·

Um…not to be a big copycat or anything (Miz was just up earlier than me!), but I also saw your message on twitter and have been thinking about you. And yes, I totally think the architect should be meeting you at the door with a martini every night. Just because it’s the nice thing to do!

November 20, 2008 - 11:48 am ·

Miz is up earlier than everyone, I think. 🙂

Thanks for the thoughts, and I’ll pass on your martini support to the architect.

• M*J*C
    November 20, 2008 - 8:13 am ·

That definitley sucks, but the answer to your question is yes. He should be waiting with martinis, and maybe only wearing an apron!

• margaret
    November 22, 2008 - 12:27 am ·

really sorry to hear that about ‘the architect’. tell him im sorry, and im sending good thoughts your way . . . (though they may take a while to get there).
    m