As you probably know, my birthday is coming up in less than a month. I’m sure you’ve been agonizing over what to get me since approximately December 26. (My cat is helping me type this list, so I would like to apologize in advance for any odd errors. He’s pretty smart, but spelling is definitely not his strong point.)
I thought I’d break this down into a few categories & post some stuff every few days, so as to a) not overwhelm you and b) make sure no one misses their chance.
I may have mentioned once or twice that I am, in fact, a runner. Running is supposed to be this awesome pure sport where all you have to do is put on a pair of shoes & take off – no equipment needed.
I suppose that is technically true, but if all I wore on a run was a pair of shoes, I would be likely be in a LOT of pain and possibly in jail (maybe not in that order).
So – besides shoes, which I have, what else does your typical (i.e. me) runner need?
1. Socks! You cannot wear cotton socks from Target. You will get blisters. Every runner has favorite socks. I have a few pairs that I rotate, but there are really two pairs that I love the most. Both of them are in such heavy rotation that they are getting thin on the bottom, which will likely lead to blisters. My running socks of choice: (size small!)
2. Capris. I adore my capris. They are perfect for running in spring & fall (and most of winter, unless it’s really cold). However, I have only one pair, and despite my best laundering techniques they are getting….stinky. So – I need at least one more pair, for rotational purposes. I run 4x/week, and this time of year, I prefer to run in capris for most of those runs. These would be awesome (size small):
3. Shorts. Shorts are obviously important. I hate loose shorts, and instead prefer to run in my Under Armour tight shorts. They are super awesome. Comfortable. No chafing. Plus, they highlight my nice runner’s butt. I love these! (size small.)
4. Sports bras. Obviously this is key. Really really key. I do not think it is possible for a woman to own too many sports bras. Because I wear two every time I run, and I run four time a week, sometimes I am forced to run in an unclean bra. Because sports bras are expensive! If someone can find me a sports bra that is supportive enough that I only need the one AND is not white or beige (extra bonus points if it also isn’t black) and doesn’t look like actual infrastructure, that would be awesome. In the meantime, I will settle for these.(any color but black or white, 36DD)
5. Hat – hats are super important! They keep the hair & sun & rain out of your face. BUT, they also have to let your head sweat so you don’t overheat. Enter Headsweats hat!
6. Shirt. I have a lot of race shirts – and a lot of great tech shirts. The one thing I really don’t have is a great running tank top. I am not sure if this one is great, but I like the way it looks! (size medium.)
7. Running sleeves – I am craving some of those – when it’s not quite cold enough for a full-sleeved shirt! Aren’t they kind of awesome?
8. Night running safety gear! I run at night a LOT – especially during the winter, when night comes early. I have a blinky headlight, but would love to get some more safety gear. Such as this vest (below) or this
9. Fuel belt. I have a fuel belt, but at least one of the bottles is not usable, and I don’t like the way the bottles snap (or sometimes not) into the holders. Also, the pocket is velcro & doesn’t always stay velcroed – so stuff occasionally tries to fly off. I’ve read a lot of good things about this one.
Don’t worry – there will be more suggestions in days to come. Biking gear, swimming gear, random other stuff I desperately need.
Of course, if you happen to have other runners or bikers or people who like stuff, I suppose you could use my ideas to get them gifts instead. They may not have the same brand preferences as me, but I’ll bet that most runners would like to have at least some of the above stuff!