Track Tuesday

After a bizarre yesterday (woke up all dizzy, nauseated & disoriented), I took another day off to rest, and got right back into the running this morning with a fantastic track workout.

The plan:

1 mile each warm & cool (goal pace for warm/cool & rest intervals between 11 & 11:30)
4×800 with 1 minute rest intervals. 800 goal = between 4:20 & 4:30
2 minute rest after last 800
4×400 with 1 minute rest intervals. 400 goal = 2:00

The actuality:

Warm-up = 1 mile @ 12:41 (not sure what happened here…that is SLOW!)

800#1 = 4:06 (8:13 pace)
RI#1 = 417.4′ (12:39 pace)
800#2 = 4:23 (8:47 pace)
RI#2 = 407.1′ (12:58 pace)
800#3 = 4:28 (8:57 pace)
RI#3 = 365.8′ (14:26 pace)
800#4 = 4:16 (8:33 pace)
2 minute rest = .16 mile (12:42 pace)

400#1 = 2:01 (8:06 pace)
RI#1 = 400.1′ (13:12 pace)
400#2 = 2:04 (8:17 pace)
RI#2 = 368.2′ (14:20 pace)
400#3 = 2:04 (8:19 pace not sure why this 2:04 400 was slower than the last one….Leo’s ways are mysterious)
RI#3 = 396.2′ (13:20 pace)
400#4 = 1:52 (7:31 pace)

Cool down 1 mile @ 11:32

Total: 5.6 miles in 57:31 (10:16 pace). Leo says I burned 666 calories! Yay me! I am the devil! πŸ™‚

The worst part is that I’d set up Leo to tell me when to switch between intervals & rest. And I’d set my goal pace for the hard runs at “Run” on my Garmin. Well, apparently my custom settings were no longer in place, so I kept getting “speed up” noises from Leo during my 800s, and I was feeling so slow & tortoise-y. Well, Leo has the “run” pace to be between 7 & 9 minute miles, and since I wanted between 4:20 – 4:30 for my 800s, well, that’s right about a 9 minute mile. so I actually was doing pretty well, but it made me tense. When I ignored it, I came in right where I wanted to be, so I think I was doing a pretty good job of feeling how fast I needed to run. My 400s were pretty consistent, too, right? Go me!

One thing I need to do is either a) go faster on my rest intervals or b) re-evaluate how fast my rest intervals should be. I jogged them all, but obviously my jog on a few was more of a speedy senior citizen shuffle.Β  Thoughts? Advice? How fast do you do your rest intervals? Should I even care how slow they were? Or should I just jog slowly enough so that my breathing steadies before the next speed interval? Should I start wearing my heart rate monitor?

SO MANY QUESTIONS!

However, I do feel super fantastic. Seriously. It’s been almost 3 hours since I finished, and I still have a great runner’s high. I kind of love everyone right now.

August 5, 2009 - 10:32 am ·

I may have to pull the HRM back out of the drawer. It was chafing something terrible, but maybe it’s worth it for track workouts at the least.

August 5, 2009 - 10:32 am ·

I’m guessing your intervals could be faster – I checked out your blog! You’re pretty fast! πŸ™‚

Thanks for stopping by!

August 4, 2009 - 3:21 pm ·

Speedwork gives me the best runners high! I can’t belive you actually felt “slow and tortise-y”. You were running those intervals faster than I run mine. hello 7:31 pace!

I don’t jog the RI. I stop and rest for a specified period of time. Usually it’s :45 seconds in between intervals and ~2:00 in between sets. I really try to obey these RI times strictly. The only time I falter is if it’s excruciatingly hot.

Good job lady!

August 4, 2009 - 3:29 pm ·

I only felt slow & tortoise-y because my body said “wow, this is fast!” and my garmin said “speed up, pokey mcpokerson.”

Next time I will listen to my body, and not so much the garmin.

August 4, 2009 - 3:39 pm ·

I’m not the track work expert but I think the idea of an RI is just that to recover. So sometimes that might mean senior citizen shuffle and other times only a middle aged shuffle. HAHA, I crack myself up.

Looks like a great workout. Might copy it =) which would really be copying from Kristen right?! =)

August 5, 2009 - 10:34 am ·

More or less copied from Kristen – my track workout guru! πŸ™‚

It was a good workout – I really liked it. I think next time I will add in the circuit, too.

I think I will also extend my rest intervals. I did a lot of reading about interval workouts yesterday, and many sources say that your RI should be at least half the time that your actual interval was. So – for 4:30 800s, rest 2:15, etc. Of course yassos have their RIs set for the same amount of time….I think I just wasn’t resting quite long enough.

August 5, 2009 - 7:52 am ·

i keep going back and forth on the rest intervals. Some i slow down to a 6.2 on the treadmill, sometimes i’ll go all the way down to walking a 3.8 speed. usually i’ll jog one, then walk one

August 5, 2009 - 10:35 am ·

I think I’ll lengthen them – I pulled the RI times off someone else’s workout (Kristen, above) and she stops complete b/w intervals – not something I want to do. I definitely need to keep moving, or I might give up & stopp altogether πŸ™‚

• aron
    August 6, 2009 - 2:18 pm ·

awesomeeeee intervals!!! i just run really slow, more like jog during the rest portion, let my breathing catch up πŸ™‚