Long Run – almost 100% successful

The only lack of success is that I’d planned on 15 miles and not the 12 I ended up with. But – I only have 11.55 miles left to hit 100 miles for April, and I’m pretty sure I can do it!

I met up with her & her this morning. I wasn’t feeling incredible today – maybe last night I should’ve tried to remember that I was planning a 15 miler today instead of just drinking beers with my cousin. Blech. Anyways, we had maps for a couple of loops, so we started with the 8.25 mile loop. There were a couple walk breaks, but we finished the loop with 7.3 running miles. Then Sarah & I took off for a 2nd smaller 4-mile loop (that actually ended up being 4.7 miles) and finished with 12 miles total. The running routes were great loops through NE Portland – we saw a lot of beautiful houses & trees & gardens. It was gorgeous.

After the 12 miler, Sarah & I went to Por Que No which was only a couple of blocks away. I had tamales & strawberry lemonade & beer (Amnesia Desolation IPA – YUM!), she had tacos & beer & also, in her continuing infinite wisdom, order chips & guac & even let me have some – double YUM!

Now I am home being happy with our run times – my splits:

Mile 1: 10:43
Mile 2: 10:38
Mile 3: 10:49
Mile 4: 10:58
Mile 5: 10:21
Mile 6: 10:37
Mile 7: 11:17
Mile 8: 10:24
Mile 9: 10:14
Mile 10: 10:43
Mile 11: 10:30
Mile 12: 9:54

Total: 2:07:12 – average pace of 10:36 minute miles.

I’m pretty stoked that I had a sub 10-minute mile left in me at the end – we were pretty anxious to be done at that point, too. We were both just getting to the ‘bitching about the run’ point when we ran by a home for quadripelegics and saw a woman in a wheelchair & realized how incredibly lucky we were to be running – I think that gave me a burst of speed.

My half marathon is in two weeks, and I’m beginning to feel ridiculously confident that I am going to kill last year’s time. My first goal is to just beat last year’s 2:25 time (11 minute miles). My 2nd goal is to come in under 2:15 (10:18 pace), and my super-secret goal that I will share with no one but you is to come in under 2:10 (9:55 pace). The runner’s world training calculator seems to think, based on my recent 5K time that 2:10 is doable. I’m not entirely sure I believe the calculator, but I do think that I can PR by the 10 minutes necessary to hit 2:15. And if I don’t, I’ll have another chance on 7/4 when I do the Sauvie Island half marathon (all Portlanders doing that race – we can carpool from my house if you want).

I’m really starting to feel so strong & confident in my running. I’m never going to be a speedy gonzales like her, but I’m feeling so good about the strength & speed I have gained. On my 3-day weekend, I ran 22 miles – something I couldn’t have even conceived of three years ago. And now, I’m 11.55 miles away from my first-ever 100 mile month! That’s pretty amazing, if you ask me!

Happy running, people!

April 26, 2009 - 1:05 pm ·

What a run GR! You were so consistent in your pacing!! Just beautiful!

I had wanted to run 7 miles yesterday but came up 1 mile short with a 6 miler. Hills. Hard!!! I still have 5 weeks until my half so I am confident that I can get it done!!

WOO!!

April 26, 2009 - 1:21 pm ·

You’re going to be great for you half! It’s pretty impressive that you’ve been able to build the miles back up so quickly after your toe incident!

April 26, 2009 - 1:21 pm ·

thank you! I’m feeling pretty confident today. We’ll see how confident I feel the night before when I’m all nervy šŸ™‚

• Susan
    April 26, 2009 - 1:51 pm ·

I definitely think you’re going to do awesome at your half! You may even surprise yourself, although you won’t be surprising us readers with your fantasticness!

April 27, 2009 - 12:47 pm ·

Thank you for your kind words! I love having all this virtual support from all the other runners – we are pretty cool, aren’t we?

• Wiggs (The Beholder)
    April 26, 2009 - 2:57 pm ·

Dude, 12 miles is inCRED! Reading your post makes me want to change my mind about my cross-training day and go for a run instead. Your half is going to be off the HEEZY (yes, I just said that, and no I will not apologize for my use of the obnoxious word).

• Wiggs (The Beholder)
    April 26, 2009 - 2:58 pm ·

Out of curiosity (sorry for the double-post), why are you doing runs that are longer than the half? Is it in preparation for the marathon this fall, or just because you’re bad-ass?

April 27, 2009 - 12:49 pm ·

I was originally training for a marathon scheduled for May 31, but due to circumstances (architect was laid off in November and is still), decided that travel at this time was not the wisest financial move and post-poned the full – so although I backed off the marathon training, I didn’t want to completely get rid of the long miles, so I kept a few longer runs in just for fun. Also, it makes me feel bad-ass, and that’s kinda cool!

I will be doing my full marathon in October, and I expect to have a fantastic base when real marathon training starts!

• Emily
    April 26, 2009 - 5:52 pm ·

Dude, you’re a badass! I’ve watched you smash two PRs and I’ve only known you for a few months. You’ve got a lot left inya, so just keep it up and rock that half.

April 27, 2009 - 12:58 pm ·

It’s great to have such speedy inspiration. Whenever I feel like slacking off, I think of you, or Jen, or the rest of my running buddies & I know that I, too, must power through.

• hebba
    April 26, 2009 - 6:33 pm ·

Fantastic! I had a 9 miler and had to walk twice, as the temperature went up 30 degrees in two days. Yay for the heat, bummer for my run

April 27, 2009 - 12:59 pm ·

There were definitely a couple of walk breaks in the midst of my run, but it was pretty awesome! YAY for your run, though – 9 miles is nothing to sneeze at!

April 26, 2009 - 8:07 pm ·

Great job on the long run! Love the inspired kick at the end. Good luck hitting your 100 mile goal! You’re definitely going to do great at the half.

April 27, 2009 - 1:21 pm ·

It can be easy to forget how lucky we are that our bodies are so strong! I know you’re going to rock your half, too!

April 27, 2009 - 1:28 pm ·

Unless my head falls off today, I’ll definitely hit my mileage goal. Yay! I’m pretty pleased with the relative consistency of my splits, too.

• RunToFinish
    April 27, 2009 - 7:54 am ·

thanks for sharing your secrets with us..we won’t tell.

I’d say you are going to have a great race, based on all current runs!

• Tara
    April 27, 2009 - 8:18 am ·

nice job on the long run! your lunch after sounded very yummy!! hehe I love having super secret race goals! I am sure you’ll PR in your next half..keep up the good work! šŸ™‚

April 27, 2009 - 1:29 pm ·

The lunch was pretty damn good – almost as good as the company! šŸ™‚

Thanks for the confidence – it’s awesome to have so many virtual supporters!