Shamrock 15K Race Report

Except, you know, not really.

Saturday morning I woke up & didn’t feel….right. It wasn’t AWFUL, just not right. I canceled my swim date. I didn’t do much of anything all day. I rested & hydrated & concentrated on feeling better for my Shamrock 15K. I had a time goal. I was ready.

Saturday evening, I made a lasagna (yummy!) and had a glass of wine. I laid out all of my race stuff and went to bed early. I couldn’t sleep. I had crazy dreams. I woke up Sunday morning with my alarm and knew there was a chance I wasn’t going to make the race. I got up & wandered downstairs.

This was not going to be good.

I decided that I would go back to bed for an hour & then get up & drive to the race. But, just in case, I texted the Ambitious One & told her I wasn’t going to show up. I woke up a bit later and felt terrible – the architect told me I wasn’t going to the race. Later, I lost my breakfast. It was probably 2 PM before I kept anything down.

I started feeling a lot better after that – and was even able to go have pizza with some friends for their house warming that evening, although I was pretty worn out by the time we got home.

I feel better today, but not great.

I also feel completely lame that I missed my first race of 2009. I now have 400 SBSD crunches & 9 miles to make up. I think that I will have to take today off, too, but starting tomorrow I’m back in the game.

Congrats to everyone who raced yesterday – you all did a FANTASTIC job. I’m just sorry I wasn’t there.

March 16, 2009 - 9:18 am ·

Oh, honey. That sucks. πŸ™ We missed you out there but you had no choice but to stay home. Feel better!!

March 16, 2009 - 9:22 am ·

Yuck…so glad you stayed home…you are right no one does like a barfing runner!

You will be ready for that 5k in three weeks.

• Ashley V
    March 16, 2009 - 9:45 am ·

Sorry you couldn’t race today. But this is all about you right? And today you just needed to take care of yourself. There’s always more races! Feel better.

• Justin
    March 16, 2009 - 9:46 am ·

Bummer you felt so crappy yesterday! Truth be told though, there were moments shivering in the rain when I envied your flu… thankfully those were very brief and passing.

March 16, 2009 - 10:22 am ·

i know it’s tough to stay home and miss a race you were prepared for (like my marathon a few weeks ago), but you did the right thing. hope you feel better soon!

• Tara
    March 16, 2009 - 11:40 am ·

sorry you’re not feeling well and you missed out on your race, but it’s best to get a full recovery before you start running again..hopefully you’ll feel better after another days rest πŸ™‚

• Amanda
    March 16, 2009 - 2:51 pm ·

wowie, I really hope you are feeling better!! Hey we both missed our first race, I bet that is actually a sign of how much ass we are going to kick later… yup that’s it!

• Calyx Meredith
    March 16, 2009 - 3:57 pm ·

So sorry chica! That sucks – but I’m so glad you started feeling at least a little better fairly quickly. Some people have had that bug and been stuck praying to the porcelain god for days. Hope you’re back to 100% soon!

• Emily
    March 16, 2009 - 7:53 pm ·

Trust me, it was a good one to miss! You did the right thing taking it easy this time. Sometimes your body tells you the right thing.

March 17, 2009 - 3:48 am ·

GR, first I am sorry that you didn’t feel well. That sucks indeed!!

BUT, you totally did the right thing by not racing. You listened to your body. Don’t even give it a second thought, just forge forward!!!