Five Things Friday
1. I said this on my FB page on Wednesday, but I could not be happier than I am not a stay-at-home mom. I love that Bean to pieces, but holy hell, people! Full-time momming is hard! I would probably develop some kind of substance abuse problem. My job is what saved my sanity last fall when I was deep in the throes of the PPAD, and I am so happy to know that I made the right choice in NOT staying home (not that it was that much of a choice; without my job, we’d be living in a box under a bridge or something). So – yay!
2. Due to the large amounts of sick and extreme cold (highs in the low 20s!) and then snow days, it has been wicked hard to get my scheduled runs in. I am running today, but I really want to get back to 3-4 days/week instead of once every 8 days. Fortunately, I did get in my fastest and 2nd longest swim of the year on Monday (2000 yards, bitches!) and got on my bike (trainer) while the Bean was napping Wednesday for the first time since July. I’ve been rehabbing my displaced (first typed misplaced, which would be an interesting problem) sacrum for the last couple of months, and I was nervous, but I spun out just over 6 miles in 30 minutes (so, slow & steady) while watching some Archer and other than the soreness that happens when you haven’t been in the saddle in a while, I feel just fine in the posterior.
3. I am getting really excited for my trip to Mordor in 2014. However, in August, I lost the love of my life (my Fitbit Ultra) and want need a replacement. I can’t have some cheapo pedometer because I have problems with electronics. It’s like I’m my own tiny EMP producing entity. Things with batteries or circuits inexplicably die around me. I can’t wear a watch (and the watch I do have for things like swimming has had the batteries replaced once/year even though I wear it, on average, like twice a month. (Don’t even get me started on computer batteries, wireless mouse batteries, phone batteries, etc.) So, advice my people? I’d considered getting the Fitbit Flex since I’m already all Fit-bitted up and it looks like it might be harder to lose out of a pocket.
4. I am so close to being done with this book I’ve been working on all year. I could power through and complete the first draft in the next three days, I think. If, you know, I ignored my family. I’ll definitely be done by the end of the year. It’s the beginning of a series, and I’m already starting the research on what I need to know going forward. (Hint: EMPs, it’s all about the EMPs, baby.) The problem is that I don’t really understand how electricity works. (I was driving the architect crazy last night with my questions about hydroelectricity. I think I’m banned from talking about it ever again.)
5. I am ready to stick a fork in 2013. Although, as I said to Cat this morning, the last quarter of the year was better than the first three combined. And don’t even get me started on 2012. I mean, yeah I got an adorable kidlet, but that was the only bright spot, I think. I feel like I’ve shed a lot of badness in the last three months – some of which I didn’t even recognize as badness until it was gone and I felt exponentially freer.
BUT – 2014 is going to be the Year of the (Awesome Lady Gazelle) Pirate. It’s all about the ARRRRRRR! Reading, (W)riting, Running, Recreation, and RUM! (Thanks for the rum add, Cat!)