Dirty Hippie!

So – you all know I’m a dirty hippie. I make my own laundry detergent & grow & can my own food. I don’t use chemical cleaners in my house. (I do, however, clean my house, so maybe I’m a relatively clean hippie?) I use TOM’S OF MAINE TOOTHPASTE and don’t eat HFCS or partially hydrogenated anything.  Hippie.

Last weekend, I decided to take my hippie-ness to a whole special level. I bought aluminum-free deodorant. Now, from what I understand, the aluminum piece is the antiperspirant part (right?), so aluminum-free stuff is just a deodorant.

My particular purchase, after carefully researching & weighing the various alternatives at the store (I went with the 2nd cheapest one, no way in hell am I spending more than $10 on a tube of deodorant), I ended up with a lavender & lichen solid deodorant. Apparently the lichen is supposed to act as a natural antiperspirant.

The results: I did not feel particularly more sweaty than with my regular toxic product. So, the lichen is a big winner.

HOWEVER -I don’t think it’s primary function of deodorizing actually worked. I love the smell of lavender (which is why that’s what I use in my laundry detergent, too). This stuff? Did not smell like lavender. At yoga the other night, our (awesome) instructor kept having us put our hands in the air (like we just didn’t care), and every time I caught a whiff of myself, I cringed. I’m pretty sure my hippie deodorant actually made smell like a hippie. A dirty, dirty hippie.

July 28, 2010 - 9:51 am ·

I’m totally going to look for some patchouli scented deodorant. That would be awesome(ly bad)!

Thanks for the idea! 🙂

• Eliza
        July 28, 2010 - 11:07 am ·

Ha, yes, I hadn’t even considered the pink factor. It does not smell pink, I promise.

I also used the rock deodorant for a long time when I was traveling a lot (um, til someone pointed out that deodorant is not a liquid, actually). It worked really well. I felt like my armpit was sealed off from the world.

• Eliza
    July 28, 2010 - 10:53 am ·

Rob uses this guy and rarely smells: http://www.desertessence.com/node/89 I’ve personally not had much luck with it at all. I keep my baking powder aluminum-free (for better baking results) and keep my ‘pits strictly conspicuous consumption all around.

July 28, 2010 - 11:04 am ·

wow – that’s really pink deodorant! I might have to give that a try – I just want to be a slightly cleaner-smelling hippie.

July 28, 2010 - 11:05 am ·

If I wasn’t at work, I could’ve done a much better photoshop job, but next time I’m all tie-dyed & bearded, I’ll give you a call so we can go out for drinks. Or drugs maybe – don’t all the dirty hippies do the drugs?

• SeriouslyTMI
    July 31, 2010 - 1:00 pm ·

I wear the hippie deoderant about 75% of the time, no complaints from the Huzbo….then again, he wears it too! We generally get Tom’s, I believe the Calendula scent.

I bust out the Dove “Fresh Burst” (or something like that) while on business trips to hot places, like Phoenix and LA where it is hot as balls. I wish I could swipe that stuff in my butt crack sometimes.

I think your body adapts… I used to use Certain Dry back in high school, but since I laid off that junk, I genuinely think I might sweat less?
    (Except during workouts, I still sweat like a gigantic hairy man.)

My 2 cents: continue your dirty hippie-like ways, my friend!