Training Goals: 4/26/10 – 5/2/10 (Change of Focus)

The recap….

Training Goals: 4/19 – 4/25

Monday: Swim – half FAIL! I was sore, so I yoga’d instead

Tuesday: Run (with the Ambitious One!) – total FAIL! I did homework instead.

Wednesday: Triple Day! Swim + Spin class + post-spin brick run – 1/3 FAIL! I didn’t swim, but I did spin (30 minute class + 10 minute w/u) and run (1.5 miles – longest brick to date).

Thursday: REST! WOO! – FAIL, actually – I made up one of my missed swims.

Friday: yoga + trail run – FAIL! Homework + gardening/construction instead

Saturday: bike + weights – FAIL! gardening/construction day (5 hours of hard, hard work)

Sunday: Long run…I am going to shoot for 10 miles. We’ll see how that goes. – well, I ran, but I wouldn’t call it a SUCCESS! I did about 2.5 miles. And answered the question about whether or not I’ll be half marathoning next weekend. It was awful. And painful. And slow. I had to stop to walk twice. In 2.5 miles. Which is ridiculous. (Thanks running friends for putting up with me today.)

Next week…

Training Goals: 4/26 – 5/2

Monday: Weights + either spin class or boxing class – depending on how brave I feel

Tuesday: Run (with the Ambitious One!) + yoga

Wednesday: Triple Day! Swim + Spin class + post-spin brick run

Thursday: Swim

Friday: Weights

Saturday: bike

Sunday: Rest day.

So – the new focus….I am not going to be running any long distances until post surgery. I just can’t. I am going to concentrate on getting through my next race – a sprint triathlon, and then re-evaluate. I tentatively have a 10K trail race + a couple more triathlons on the schedule, but considering I already have two DNS races on the books for 2010, I am hesitant to sign up for anything further at this point….races are expensive, and it’s a waste of money when I’m not running them.

I am, however, going to be in Eugene spectating my kick-ass neighbor’s first marathon & Jen’s latest marathon. And I am going to try to be cool with my change in focus. I can still swim. And bike (well, not in my bike shoes – they’re too tight). And yoga. And lift weights. And, most importantly for the summer, I can garden & bbq & hang out. I’m hoping for some good camping trips with a bit of backpacking this summer. I’m going to learn to row. And then next year, I’ll be back.

(However, the next person who tells me a horror story about that person they knew who had minor foot surgery and now has no feet at all, or whatever, will get punched in the face.)

• t.a.o
    April 25, 2010 - 11:29 pm ·

You can always come over and do my 80’s aerobics video with me. It only requires you to use are your arms and your butt. Feet are optional. Also, we should bike to work more.

April 26, 2010 - 6:39 am ·

That sound like a good plan. You’ll stay active. Running isn’t the be all end all. There is still plenty of good workouts to be had! I’ve never heard of anybody geting thier foot amputated by accident, but I have heard of people who come back stronger than ever after they get a surgury they’ve neglected for too long :)!

April 26, 2010 - 9:36 pm ·

I know that I’ll have great workouts – it’s just a bit sucky that I worked so hard to get healthy & be an athlete and then as soon as I find a sport I love, I can’t do it….I feel like I’m being punished, which is redonk, I know. I keep telling myself to just stay positive! And do what I can! And it will be over before I know it. 🙂

Thanks for not telling me any accidental amputation stories.

• CilleyGirl
    April 26, 2010 - 9:16 am ·

Think of how lean and buff you’ll be after all of that!

Hey, what was the name of the place everyone is meeting up at post-marathon? I’m not sure what my plans will end up being but I was hoping to see everybody, introduce my momma-san around.

• Marya
    April 26, 2010 - 12:51 pm ·

It sounds like you made a good decision about running. You will still be able to be active, without having to go through all the pain! Have fun spectating; it’s the next best thing! 🙂

April 26, 2010 - 9:36 pm ·

Spectating is super fun – and less exhausting. 🙂

It does, however, give me fewer excuses to carb-load.

• Kristen
    April 26, 2010 - 9:00 pm ·

That sounds smart to lay off the running. It isn’t the end of the world if you miss a few months of running AND it definitely isn’t worth making your foot even worse. Swimming and biking are really fun too!! Have fun in Eugene!

April 26, 2010 - 9:37 pm ·

As people keep saying to me – I’m a runner for life, not 2010! It’s better to take the time now and run more later, right? 🙂

April 27, 2010 - 10:16 am ·

This sounds like a good plan. I agree races are expensive. I would wait til after surgery before signing up for anything else =(.

Trackbacks and Pingbacks