Bridge to Brews 10K Race Report (2010)

Subtitled: The race of hate.

Actually, I’m pretty sure Terrapin Events is going to go with my subtitle next year – it will be right under the logo.

My race of hate started yesterday at packet pickup. I was behind these two suburban soccer moms who were the bitchiest people I’ve ever had to stand near for an hour. Nothing was good enough for them. The line was too long. The (50% off) merchandise was too expensive. They are Wal-Mart shoppers and Dominos pizza eaters, and they are THOSE moms that yell at the coaches for not putting their kids in the game, because obviously, the coach doesn’t know what he’s doing.

I hated them, and texted about my hate for them during the whole packet pickup, which may have made me as annoying as them.  I don’t know. I was not in the mood for the high road.

This morning, I woke up early, and it was a beautiful morning, although a bit chilly.

I had all my stuff laid out (as is my custom), and the architect had programmed the coffee maker for me, so I had a leisurely time as I prepared for the race.

I drove to MAX and was at the start line just before 8 AM. (The race was scheduled to start at 8:35.)

I drank a couple of glasses of water, and got my wrist band, so that I could get my beers immediately after the race. At about 8:15, I gave up my sweat pants & jacket to the clothing check people & then was chilly until I crossed the start line at about 8:50.

While waiting for the start of the race, I saw the annoying people again. They were dressed all matchy-matchy (which wouldn’t have bothered me if I wasn’t already annoyed at them for their very existence), and when a man bumped one of them trying to get by, she said, “EXCUSE ME! Maybe you should watch where you’re going. You’re not the only one out here.” *stabby stabby feelings*

And there were other people whose existence annoyed me as well – Ferragamo sunglasses lady who was wearing more makeup than I’ve ever seen at a race. I wish I’d seen her afterward to see how well it held up, because if it was still in place after a WARM 10K, I might need to ask her what brand she wears.

Once the race started, I was less annoyed with people’s clothing choices than all the walkers and stroller pushers who apparently decided that the instruction to line up at the back applied to everyone but them.  (I was not, however, annoyed with the person pushing the Iron Man double-wide stroller – I just got out of that person’s way.)

Then, I was annoyed because the Mile 1 marker was long, and miles 2 & 3 weren’t right, either. I was mostly full of hate because the race sucks, and once again, I felt myself contemplating not finishing.

Mile 1: 11:41 (wicked slow, even when taking into account that it was a long mile, and Leo says my pace was 10:33)
Mile 2: 9:57
Mile 3: 9:40

Miles 2 & 3 were both a bit short, so although I felt happier about my times, I still wasn’t turning in a very good pace.

After mile 3, I knew I’d at least finish, because I was already half way done, and I’d turned in two decent miles. I don’t know what happened after that, but I was spent. The water station before mile 5 (one of two on the course) was out of cups, and they had very little water left (people were drinking out of the jugs, and I wasn’t waiting in line to put my mouth on a jug of water that 100 people had licked (or whatever) on the off chance that I’d actually get some water).

Just past mile 5, you start running up the Broadway Bridge. This is where I kicked ass last year – picking off people left & right. I don’t think I passed a single person this year, and I felt like I was running through quicksand.

Mile 4: 10:32
Mile 5: 10:00
Mile 6: 10:35
Mile 6.2: 1:52 (9:20 pace)

I hit last year’s time, and my current PR at about mile 5.7. I knew I wasn’t going to PR – I haven’t been running as regularly, and then, of course, there’s Damian.

I finished the race to the cheers of Jen & Zach (thanks guys!) and met up with them for our free beers after. Then, I hobbled home. And am still hobbling.

The architect & I went out for food (after I took of my shoes), and then I took a two hour nap. Which is unusual for me. I seldom nap. And by seldom, I mean I had to google myself to see if I’d ever even talked about napping on this site before. I have, but not often.

My overall time was 1:04:21 (unofficial), which is about 5 minutes slower than my PR, and 2:38 slower than my 2008 time. This is the first time in over a year that I haven’t bested a time from 2008 and is a course PW. The only happiness is that at least it was still 9:21 faster than my overall 10K PW.

Right now, I’m not sure what I’m going to do about my half marathon in two weeks. This race wiped me out, and my foot hurts. I know that there is no way I can turn out a 1/2 PR in two weeks (today’s goals was just to run an average 10:09 pace, which is what I wanted to do in Eugene, and obviously, I didn’t do that…my pace was 10:22). I’m not even sure at this point if I can beat my current half PW (2:25). Not that the finish time is the most important factor. It’s possible that I cannot run 13.1 miles and still walk the next day – and what good is putting off surgery for a few months if I can’t even use my foot DURING those months?


So – I am going to get through this week, and see how my Friday (trail) run and Sunday (long) run go, if I’m not racing. And then I’ll decide if I’m running or just taking an overnight to Eugene and spectating the race.

ANYWAYS – since it’s not all about me, I just want to say:

Congratulations to Jen for coming in 8th in her age group in today’s 10K

Congratulations to L & A for running their 8K today & doing better than expected

Congratulations to Marya & James for having a kick-ass 10K today (it was nice to get to meet you!)

AND – best of luck to Emily in tomorrow’s running of the 114th Boston Marathon. Kick some ass!

Follow me on social!