Bountiful Harvest – Corn Chronicles Part the End for 2009

Other than the random tomato thief, who has struck at least twice (once in my garden, and once in my kick-ass neighbor’s garden), things have been good from the garden.

The corn children have mostly grown up & gone on to better things (like my belly). We’re starting to get lots of tomatoes. And peppers. The mustard is almost ready to be dried & mustardized. The Brussels sprouts are sprouting. My fall crop is in the ground & sprouting. The tomatillos are looking good – as are the potatoes.

The 24 hours of rain we got earlier this week refilled our empty barrels and made the garden all weedy again.

So – without further ado – the photos!

Life is very busy lately – and this weekend, the architect & I are FINALLY getting out of town for our first camping trip of the year. I am very much looking forward to it.

Also, I seem to have pulled a muscle in my thigh, and it hurts. I think I am going to just yoga today (I took yesterday off completely) and go for my 14 miles tomorrow….gotta take care of the leggies.

I also need to post my last TWO brew reviews, because I just realize I haven’t yet. The next is (tentatively) scheduled for Friday 8/21 at Lucky Lab. Let me know if that would work for you.

August 13, 2009 - 11:51 am ·

Holy pumpkin! That sucker is HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry ’bout the thigh, ouchie.

If you go to the Lucky Lab I can walk to friday 8/21 i’m in, otherwise, logistically things are difficult for me next week.

August 13, 2009 - 2:41 pm ·

wow, that’s quite the harvest! those squash look fantastic. my corn never did much (again) this year. There are still some ears out there, but they are still immature. we’re pulling dozens of tomatoes each day, and the berries are doing great too. berries are one of the few good things about august.

that pumpkin is huge. i’m jealous. we didn’t get anything out of the pumpkins yet.

August 13, 2009 - 3:28 pm ·

did you do the nitrogen soil add-in thingie that you mentioned you never remember to do for the corn? I didn’t because my soil is already nitrogeny.

We don’t have much for berries this year – got a handful of blueberries and about 1 strawberry. I have high hopes for next year though!

all of my pumpkins are ripe. It is so weird. I don’t know what to do with pumpkins in August! Crazy bastards!

August 14, 2009 - 7:04 am ·

My corn just started to tassel recently, so last weekend (or this weekend) is when i need to put out that corn soda. i think it’s a sodium nitrate. I still don’t know where to find any. oh well.

• cindy
    August 13, 2009 - 2:43 pm ·

what a bounty, man. your garden looks like a lot of run–and work. i don;t water things very well. the corn is huge! get…in..my..belly!

August 13, 2009 - 3:29 pm ·

fortunately, the architect is a great water-er! And I do have my rain barrels. The corn was so good. Next year I’m going to plant more, so I’ll have extra to give out!

• T.A.O
    August 14, 2009 - 2:45 pm ·

the other day i was stalking your FLIKR when I should have been dealing with things like streetlights (boo!) and i was so excited about your harvest! It looks amazing and delicious!

Also, you should take me to brew review. I heart Lucky Lab so hard! Especially the one on Hawthorne because they have a veggie sandwich that is the shizzler of the nizzler.

August 14, 2009 - 7:12 pm ·

Gorgeous harvest m’lady! Very impressive.

So if you make it to the race this weekend just keep an eye out for us around the finish! I’ll have my cell phone in my stuff so send a text or something and I’ll check it as soon as possible, maybe we can hang out for a bit. I think we’ll be heading home asap, so we can make it home before falling asleep, but still call. Have fun camping!!