Workout Reflections

For some reason, I have a blank mind today. I’m sure it’s nothing to do with the work load (both job & school). I have now decided that I loved last week’s schedule of only working two days, and can’t wait for the architect to get re-employed and make eleventy bajillion dollars so I stay home & live the dream of not working very much, and instead having my workouts be my part-time job. Between that & grad school, I would stay busy enough, I think!

I was looking at my workout stats today, since today is the last day of June, and the last day of the first half of the year, and the last day of the fiscal year (although probably not for everyone).

Not including this afternoon’s run (I’m finishing up Wildwood after work! woo!), I have already exercised for 32.25 hours this week, and will likely get in about 60-75 more minutes tonight. That equals nearly 33.5 hours of exercising in just one month (not including any yard work that happened). That is six hours more than I exercised in May, and an average of just over an hour/day. I feel pretty good about that. I think that, despite my whining about my lackadaisical June workout schedule yesterday, that maybe it wasn’t so much a lazy month, just a lower mileage month due to all the other stuff I added in that I wasn’t doing before (swimming, biking, lifting weights).

So – in conclusion, go me! Also, send money so I can continue to work out a lot without having to worry about where my next pair of running shoes are coming from.

Now, if only my doughy midsection would pay attention to my workout schedule, and get all flat & smooth & hot looking.  That would be super awesome. I would like to rock a bikini (where no one will see me, of course) this summer.  Also, my tri-suit is a little on the tight side (for wily boob-wrangling purposes), and I don’t think I need to carry a spare tire for the sprint-distance bike. So, still working on project abs. Project hot legs=success. Project firm arms=coming along nicely. Project nice ass=initial approval from interested parties.

I also realized today that I have run more miles in 2009 (414 after tonight) than I did in all of 2008 (400), which is kind of cool. I mean, I’m not 6 miles away from 1,000 miles (like some crazy women), but I am going to get pretty close (trying not to be jinx it by being too positive) to my goal of 1,000 for the year. I will have to average 98 miles/month for the rest of the year, which might be a wee bit difficult Oct-Dec, but I’m hoping my July-Sept mileage makes up for it. If I meet all of my planned miles for the next six months, I will be at about 1070 for the year…and that would be fantastic.

But, going forward, I will be running distances I’ve never attempted before, and have already beat my previous record, so it’s all a success from now on! Nothing but mileage records from here on out!

I hope everyone else is feeling as positive! What’s your best accomplishment for the first half of 2009?

June 30, 2009 - 1:34 pm ·

Thats so cool you have already run more this year that all of last. I love how everyone is doing the half year recap. I wont bother though since I was injured for the first few months.

So we are both traning for marathons on the same day, but your not doing Portland right?:( I dedided to hire a coach to make my trianing plan for me. I couldn’t find one I was really feeling and I really really want to get faster. I’m hoping he can help me do that much better than I could do on my own. What are you using?

June 30, 2009 - 5:06 pm ·

Last year’s totals were skewed due to injury. I ran 4.5 miles in July & September 2008, 0 miles in August, and 20 in October – so it was pretty sad….but still! I’m ahead of where I was pre-injury, also, so that’s all good.

I am NOT doing Portland (I was going to, but decided to head out to Milwaukee, WI instead) and am doing a hybrid of Hal & the Runner’s World plans, for the long runs, at least, and keeping up with my weekly runs of Tuesday (either speed or hills), Thursday (3 miles if I feel like it) and Friday (trail 5-10 miles), and then a Sunday long run. I’m planning on two 20s.

After this marathon (my first), if I want to do something more, I’ll concentrate more on speed work……maybe! Who knows how I’ll feel after? 🙂

I am excited to hear about the coaching process. That is something I’d like to try in the future.

• aron
    June 30, 2009 - 1:57 pm ·

I would like working out to be my job too, imagine how many miles I could run then 🙂 haha.

AWESOME job on your year so far!! more miles already than last year?!?!? that is soooo awesome 🙂

June 30, 2009 - 5:06 pm ·

it was so nice to not have to get up & do early runs before work! I love mid-morning runs 🙂 Of course, now it’s hot this week, so post-work runs SUCK! And speaking of post-work runs – it’s time!

• RunToFinish
    June 30, 2009 - 4:46 pm ·

why doesn’t my midsection pay attention either! i have been telling it for years what the goal is.

on the cost analysis of the bars, that is a fantastic question. I would say it’s true many of these are more expensive. The Heart Thrive if you order online you can get freebies for first time buy and for ordering in higher quantity. Since they can be frozen I think that makes them a better deal. Otherwise it comes down to coupons and sales!

June 30, 2009 - 5:08 pm ·

I think I need to have a one-on-one with my abs & let them know they have not been meeting expectations!

Thanks for the info about the Heart Thrive bars. I am going to be making my own this weekend, and we’ll see how that goes. I am trying so hard to get rid of processed foods in my diet, but sometimes convenience & price just win for me.

• auntie
    July 1, 2009 - 5:43 am ·

it’s too early in the morning for me to think about what i may have accomplished so far this year, but i definitely wanted to say

YOU ROCK!!

i’m totally impressed with your determination and discipline. go you!