Continuing this week’s theme

I haven’t run since last Friday. My neck turns on its own today (well, not on its own, it still needs me to order it to turn, but it doesn’t need outside assistance – we have no Exorcist issues going on) and very little discomfort.

I haven’t done ANYTHING this week. My weekly training program is a bunch of ‘not dones’. And honestly? I’m almost okay with it. I’m a little nervous that my week off will impact my ability to run on Saturday, but I also know I trained WAY harder this year than last. I’m also more cognizant of what happens when you ignore illness/injury & keep running anyway (torn hamstring & 3 months off running, in case you were wondering), so I think I made the right choice.

I know I’ll be back on track next week, but right now I’m just looking for reassurance that I won’t have somehow forgotten how to run in 7 days. And that I won’t have to walk my half marathon and then end up collapsing in a blubbering pile of fail at mile 8. Reassure me, please…..

• Calyx Meredith
    May 7, 2009 - 12:48 pm ·

I’m thinking you can call these 7 days “taper” and go into your half completely jolly! (And I think you should totally get a massage out of the week somehow, some way.)

• Emily
    May 7, 2009 - 12:49 pm ·

You will be fine and your body will thank you for the rest! Try to get in a little shake out run or swim before the race but nothing too hard. (I think I’m starting to sound like my coach!)

• Kristen
    May 7, 2009 - 1:16 pm ·

Don’t even worry about it. Your freaking out about nothing. Just think of how refreshed your legs will feel for your half.

• Wiggs (The Beholder)
    May 7, 2009 - 2:03 pm ·

Yeah, you’ll totes be fine. Whenever I’m worried that I won’t be able to finish a run, I remind myself that I can finish ANY run if I go slow enough. And you’re a better runner than me. So there won’t be any piles of fail at the end.

• cindy
    May 7, 2009 - 3:33 pm ·

you won’t! you won’t! don’t worry, you’ll be okay. i took a week off because of my piriformis and came back like super turbo. you will too. and yeah, calyx is right–isn’t this taper anyway? no problem.

May 7, 2009 - 8:57 pm ·

You’ll be fine! Can’t wait to hear the text message saying you PR’d.

• M*J*C
    May 7, 2009 - 9:19 pm ·

Agree with all of the above! Your body will be happy for the rest! During my marathon training I had to take of 10 because of a broken rib, the first run back sort of sucked and freaked me out (it was only 4 miles), but the next day I was totally fine and actually running better!

May 8, 2009 - 8:12 am ·

that’s why they call it a taper! you will be fresh and ready for the half on saturday. Good luck, i can’t wait to hear how it goes!

May 9, 2009 - 4:54 am ·

YES this is taper week. TAPER BABY!!!

Enjoy your half marathon. That is what running is all about anyway!! RUN ON and HAVE FUN!!!

GOOD LUCK GR!!!