I missed banned books week this year – it was last week. BUT, I wanted to talk about it anyway – I’m sure no one would censor (or censure) me for that, right? (hee.)
So – the 10 most challenged books of 2007 are:
I’ve only read for of these books (even though The Chocolate War has been on my ‘to-read’ list for ages). I’ve read The Goldan Compass, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, The Color Purple and I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings.
The most challenged books of the 21st century are:
1. Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling (read them all – twice)
2. “The Chocolate War” by Robert Cormier (damn you Robert Cormier!)
3. Alice series by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor (nope)
4. “Of Mice and Men” by John Steinbeck (of course)
5. “I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings” by Maya Angelou (definitely read)
6. “Fallen Angels” by Walter Dean Myers (nope)
7. “It’s Perfectly Normal” by Robie Harris (nope)
8. Scary Stories series by Alvin Schwartz (nope)
9. Captain Underpants series by Dav Pilkey (nope – and honestly, not likely to pick this up)
10. “Forever” by Judy Blume (maybe – I think I read everything by Judy Blume when in elementary school)
Read books, people. It’s the only way to win – an open mind is an amazing thing.