A Day of Some Significance

I know that not everyone in the country is thrilled about today. I have heard people say (snarkily) that this is a coronation, not an inauguration. Which is silly, I think – just because some people are excited about the new president doesn’t make us want a king (any more than George W. supporters really wanted him to be king, I’m assuming)! I am only really excited about royalty from other countries.

I am excited about today, though. I honestly thought the last 8 years took the country in a completely wrong direction – between the unwarranted wiretapping & the “interrogation techniques” – things really got scary bad. I don’t know how much of the current economy I can blame on the last president, but I do feel that the wars that we’re in right now might have something to do with the administration of Ex-President Bush.

I don’t think he’s evil, but I think he is petty & that he surrounded himself with a lot of people with questionable moral character.

I think that President Obama will have a hard time living up to the almost unrealistic expectations that many people have – but I think that the one thing he gave a lot of people was the hope that he talked about so much on the campaign trail.

Even if President Obama is never anything more than a mediocre leader, I think that his influence will go further – he’s made a lot of people excited & he got a lot of people to vote FOR someone, rather than against someone else. He is a charismatic man who can speak in complete articulate sentences, and maybe this makes me a bit of an elitist (I also like arugula and won’t drink macrobrews), but I like that he seems smart. I think it will take a smart man to get this country back on the right track.

And I, for one, am excited to see what happens over the next few years.

Congratulations, President Obama! I hope to toast your presidency tonight, if I ever get home from work.

• ThickChick
    January 20, 2009 - 9:40 am ·

Here, here!!

A proud moment for our nation.
    I keep getting misty while haf-working, half watching the inauguration.
    I hope my clients don’t start calling until AFTER the mist-inducing festivities.

• skinnyrunner
    January 20, 2009 - 11:47 am ·

you’d really hate me if you saw my feet. they are so nast right now that the only way i could wear the louboutins is if i had wool socks on. i have so many black toe nails it looks like im going goth with the nail polish. oh yeah, and the blister so big people assume i have six toes.
    all my money went to shoes…. and i can’t afford a pedicure!

January 20, 2009 - 4:11 pm ·

Hey…POM stole my comment…oh well…

Cheers to this post! (there it was a little different)

• carrie
    January 20, 2009 - 5:48 pm ·

Amen! (said with the same enthusiasm as Rev. Joseph Lowery at the end of today’s benediction!)

And awesome job on the ten-miler!

• maris
    January 20, 2009 - 8:05 pm ·

I had chills the entire time he was giving his speech. It’s so exciting that we can finally call him President Obama!

• Julianne
    January 20, 2009 - 11:47 pm ·

I totally agree with you!! I think the last 8 years were a total disappointment. Seriously. I am looking forward to the next 4, though. With excitement, hope and a little bit of nervousness, too… 🙂

• Justin
    January 21, 2009 - 7:38 am ·

Hey, I like arugula and have little love for macrobrews myself! I agree with your other comments too. While I generally like to keep out of politics (that’s the Ambitious One’s specialty after all), I love the message and feelings of hope Obama brings despite the seemingly troubled times. All that said, we shouldn’t overlook history: macrobrews have played an important part in some of my early drinking days and can taste good in very particular circumstances perhaps if on draft and if ice cold.

• swivek
    January 21, 2009 - 3:10 pm ·

I am so happy I will be able to listen to our president’s speeches and not want to throttle him… and not just on policies but the fact that Bush can not give a speech… and yeah I get the impression that Obama is smart and articulate and does bring hope ….