Woo! Snow Day!

Except with 80% less woo. Seriously. This is insane!

The architect and I walked to the grocery store today, because we are hardy! And out of coffee! The store is not so far away (about a mile round trip).

We bought many groceries, put them all in backpacks, and carried them all home. It was heavy, and it’s hard to walk in slippery snow.

Just in case you cannot truly appreciate how much snow we’ve gotten (perhaps a record), I have photos:

In case you can’t tell, that’s about a foot of snow covering my herb garden.Β  (The architect removed it all with a garden spade, by the way – who has a snow shovel in Portland?)

And here’s the backyard – wheelbarrow full to overflowing, car cold & covered….craziness everywhere!

And because the snow is not only annoying, but also kinda pretty, here’s a photo the architect took yesterday on his 4 hour cross-country ski adventure through the streets of North Portland:

So pretty, don’t you think?

This week, I’m only supposed to work Tuesday & Friday – and I REALLY want to go to work tomorrow. I have things! That need to be done! This week!

BUT, last time I checked, the buses weren’t running in North Portland, and not only that, the bus that takes me up the hill to my work is also not going up the hill. I’m not sure what tomorrow will bring. The city ran out of de-icer, so things are a little crazy here. The airport is closed, and although my parents aren’t scheduled to leave until Wednesday, there is some concern that they may not get to go then (I’m keeping my fingers crossed).

Today, once again, I was unable to run outside – probably not tomorrow, either. This is a little crazy-making, and since my gym is not walking distance, I can’t even go get on a treadmill. I may break down tomorrow (if I’m stuck at home again) and walk to the nearest gym (1.5 blocks away) and beg them to take my money & let me run on one of their treadmills. I did a 90-minute yoga DVD today, and my walk. Yesterday I shoveled (and then it sleeted & snowed & basically erased all evidence of my hard work), and Saturday I ellipticalled, but I need to RUN! I wish I had some of those nifty Yaktrax that I’ve seen the cool kids sporting lately.

No pictures of me all dressed up pretty – we didn’t make it to the holiday party. I understand it was fairly well attended, but I bet most of the attendees were close-in, and not may from outlying areas made it in – it was nasty.

The Ambitious One suggested that we do a winter cocktail party with wine & hors d’oeuvres & fancy dresses – so now we just need to con someone into hosting (I’m perfectly willing to have people over, but not sure that many people WANT to come to North Portland).

I hope everyone’s getting in some good runs & not succumbing to cabin fever yet! (Send wine!)

December 22, 2008 - 6:20 pm ·

Wow and yes that photo of the bridge is gorgeous!!!

It’s been bad here in ny but not nearly as bad as you guys have it!!! My boardwalk is snow covered but tomorrow i am meeting up with a friend to run on the beach!!! Then on Christmas eve it will be 50 degrees so i am hoping all snow will be melted.

Good luck getting a run in!! I know how it feels not to have access to a run!!!

Stay warm and safe!!!!

December 25, 2008 - 6:56 pm ·

The architect is a good photographer, isn’t he?

I’m just hoping that this is the last I see of snow for the rest of the winter. And tomorrow? I’m going to run.

• Christine
    December 23, 2008 - 5:06 am ·

Fun snow!

I have a set of Yaktrax and they have totally changed my winter running.

As soon as you can, get a pair! Total run fun! Plus you leave really cool foot prints so you can turn around and find your way home if the breadcrumbs run out or something!

December 25, 2008 - 6:43 pm ·

I really hope it never comes to needing to follow my footprints home! πŸ™‚ I am hoping that I never need them again! (But maybe, like a snow shovel, it would just be something useful to have around JUST IN CASE.)

December 23, 2008 - 5:29 am ·

Wow, that’s a lot of snow. Greenville is the same way. we’re not prepared for that much snow. actually, the last time we had that much snow was 1981. but the city has no plows, salt, sand, or de-icer, so we have to beg and steal from the nearby mountain towns when we do get some white stuff. it only comes down here once every 3 or 4 years.

that’s a great bridge photo too! how cool.

merry christmas!

December 25, 2008 - 6:44 pm ·

This is the first time in 40 years or something that we’ve had this much snow, and snow that lasted for more than 3 days. I’m going a little crazy. It’s supposed to get back to our regular winter weather (40s & rain) soon.

• Sassy
    December 23, 2008 - 8:17 am ·

I envy your snow. And your friends’ willingness to have fancy dress-up cocktail parties! I always want to have one, but no-one will play along and dress up. boo.

December 23, 2008 - 9:06 am ·

Wow, great shots. I love the one of the bridge! I really feel your pain about getting stuff done.. luckily I’ve been able to walk around downtown and do some shopping, but I never did make it out to Target. Also, sucks not being able to run outside. I would get some of the yaktrax but I feel like this will end very soon (thursday/friday they say) so not worth the $$.

They are saying right now on the news that the airport is getting moving again, hope your parents flight works out ok. πŸ™‚

Let me know if anything comes of a get-together… hehe. I’m always down. πŸ™‚

Merry Christmas!

December 25, 2008 - 6:46 pm ·

We definitely need to plan some kind of fun cocktail party. I need to wear that stupid dress!

At least you were downtown & not stuck in the red-headed step-child neighborhood of Portland. We didn’t get sand, buses or plows for the first couple of days!

• Emily
    December 23, 2008 - 9:09 am ·

Those pictures are great. This is definitely going to be a season to remember for Portlanders.

Don’t kill your parents – keep boozing and stay mentally/physically healthy. I think your idea to hit a gym on a day pass is a great idea – just to get out and get the blood going.

Hang in there and have fun!

December 25, 2008 - 6:47 pm ·

I am hoping to run tomorrow – after work, I think. And then, maybe on Saturday. And Sunday! I’m getting a little crazy. Also, I ate a LOT of food today πŸ™‚

I hope you’re having a good trip.

• aron
    December 23, 2008 - 9:32 am ·

wow that is some serious snow!!! too bad about your cocktail party πŸ™ i would host it but you guys would have to drive real far to get here! you might appreciate the change in weather though πŸ™‚

December 25, 2008 - 6:47 pm ·

I’d LOVE to come to a cocktail party you hosted – your xmas party looked fantastic. The distance is a bit much, though.

I hope you are having a great holiday!

• Bradley
    December 23, 2008 - 2:05 pm ·

Umm it rained a little yesterday… but the snow does look pretty… this is THE only time of year that there should be snow if you want my honest to goodness..

December 25, 2008 - 6:49 pm ·

I know! I haven’t seen snow like this since leaving South Dakota. And to be honest, that was one of the reasons I left South Dakota.

It is pretty, but I’m glad that this is a ‘once every 30 or 40 years’ kind of event.

December 24, 2008 - 1:16 pm ·

Holy crap! We really got out at the right moment. Crazy! I know, who does own a snow shovel in portland???!!!!

Hope you can make it to the hill, I heard that the #8 and #68 were both shut and not going.

Miss you! I went running again today in the rain…brrrr…not as cold as portland but it’s still pretty cold.

December 25, 2008 - 6:55 pm ·

I am hoping to get to work tomorrow. The architect is going to drive me to the tram, as I’m not sure if the #8 is running yet.

You definitely missed out on the craziest weather in 40 years! I do miss my workout buddy, though. I’m hoping to actually GET to the gym next week, as I haven’t been for the past 2 weeks.

• auntie
    December 29, 2008 - 8:07 am ·

I grew up about an hour north of Portland, and I remember we had a ton of snow one winter when I was pretty young…we made snowmen and snow forts and school was out for about a week and I thought it was great fun! Of course, I was about 8 years old and didn’t have anywhere I needed to go. Anyway, I know how rare the snow is over there and how it shuts down the whole city, but try to enjoy it if you can!

I have relatives in Oregon City and they sent us pictures of last week and it’s just crazy how much snow and ice there is everywhere. But I guess you already know that πŸ™‚

Also, I’m totally down with a fancy cocktail party…I’d have to go over the Blue Mountains to get there, but I’m sure it would totally be worth it!!